From the point of view of NurseMind, a user has one of the following roles. The role determines what is visible to that user, and to whom that user's data is visible.
- Student (no privacy: charges/managers/supervisors/instructors can see any aspect of Students' data)
- Nurse (some privacy: individual tasks and lateness of tasks are hidden from charges/etc. but total of remaining task times (a form of acuity) and patient data are revealed)
- Charge (can see limited Nurse data for nurses in Charge's unit)
- Manager (can see limited Nurse data for all units in Manager's hospital)
- House Supervisor (same as Manager)
- Clinical Instructor (can see any aspects of Students' data within Instructor's hospital)
By default, a user has the role of Nurse. To have a different role, the user must be promoted by another usser who possesses the capability to make such promotions. Within the context of a given hospital, a Manager could, for example, promote a Nurse to Charge (but only within that hospital).
A central priniciple is that a Nurse's data is his or hers alone and is visible to no one else except to those to whom has been granted that power explicitly by having been promoted.